Saturday, June 6, 2009

B.M.T.

BMT... Bat Man Taylor? Or perhaps Big Man Taylor. We'll go with the latter, but only because Beckham transitioned from his crib to a big boy bed just last week. I didn't really see it coming, this new stage of declared independence. But early one morning while Matthew was reading in the living room, he distinctly heard the rattle of Beckham's doorknob and then the pitter patter of little feet on hardwood. Crib jumper! The first time he "escaped" he did it gracefully, thud-free. The second time it sounded like a large piece of furniture had crashed to the floor. The third (and last) time mimicked the second attempt, but this time accompanied by manic crying. We rushed in to find him sitting near the base of his crib, teary-eyed, but seemingly injury free. We scoured the web for ideas how to best manage our escapee. Crib tents appeared potentially dangerous, and keeping him in his crib was not an option. One online mother claimed success with moving her little one to a big kid bed, ensuring that his room was totally kid-proof, and by placing a safety device on his doorknob. Her plan sounded rational, so we copied her strategy completely. Matthew pulled out the tools and went to work removing one side and installing the safety rails, ultimately making his crib a bed. Beckham and I ventured to Target that same day and purchased the suggested plastic door knob safety devises. And to thoroughly follow that web woman's suggestions, I ensured the overall safety of his room, and then left some toys on the floor for him to play with should he choose not to go to sleep immediately. I knew in my gut I missed something. However, I did not anticipate missing three things! As soon as I left the room, I heard him rattle the door handle, but the safety devices proved successful and he quickly lost interest, sans tantrum (to my surprise). But then I could hear him playing. A half hour later I could still hear him playing. The toys I had left in his room were simple -- nothing with batteries, nothing noisy or stimulating. Hmmm... So I peeked in, and lo and behold, the light was on. That was the first thing I missed. So duct tape went over the light switch. Secondly, the toys in the room were a bad choice. Even with the light off, he kept playing. But what I really should have removed from the room was the little camping chair we give him his milk in. When the large crashing sound startled me nearly two hours later, I opened the door to find the camping chair facing the total opposite direction, and him in it, flat on the floor. I am certain it scared him more than hurt him, but all the same, I felt terrible and stupid for leaving it in there. So now two full hours had passed and my little guy had not caught any ZZZs. I caved. Picking him up we went into the living room and watched Barney. I am happy to share that he has since transitioned well to his new sleeping arrangements. Even nap time has been a success (praise God!). Of course, his room is now not only free of toys, but that camp chair is long gone, too.

1 comment:

Goose007 said...

Too fun! What a great adventure... for ALL of you! :o) See you soon! *wink*


Just another day at the beach