
Coronado just met its match. Up until this past weekend, Coronado Island was our choice spot for escape. However, the quirks of Coronado include walking FOREVER in the sand to get to the water (heavily laden with all your beach gear), and no natural shade whatsoever. Given that the sun never seems to fade in San Diego we sought out new refuge and discovered La Jolla Cove. Known for the seals that flank the beach area of the "Children's Pool," the La Jolla shoreline starkly contrasts that of most. Aside from the seals, there are cliffs. And atop the cliffs are grassy spots, well-maintained by the lucrative La Jolla community that serve as excellent picnicking areas. Atop all that, the water is clear and the rocky beach creates these crazy, crashing waves totally unfriendly to swimmers, but breathtaking to behold. Matthew, Beckham and I spent Saturday afternoon on shell beach (pictured). After hitting the gym on Monday morning, Beckham and I were lured back, this time experiencing a cooler, cloud covered morning that proved just as breathtaking. And guess where we were yesterday afternoon? Matthew took a personal day from work and we concluded that there was no other place we really wanted to be. It occurred to me that jotting to La Jolla Cove is similar to skiing a couple hours in Colorado. Once you have a Colorado Pass, driving up for just a couple hours on the slope isn't a big deal. You don't feel the pressure to catch the first chair nor stay until the lift closes. You could come back the next day, or the next. As for the beach, we are a 20 minute drive to either Coronado or La Jolla. We find that just spending an hour next to the water is rejuvenating and well, worth it. For the record, I am not evolving into a beach person. I am still fiercely loyal to my mountains. But as they say: when in Rome...
1 comment:
Hey Friend,
Glad you found a good hangout spot. It sounds wonderful. I wish I could be there too- only for a visit of course. Look forward to finding out more of the latest. Tell M we said "hi".
Post a Comment